Gina Millsap is the chief executive officer of the Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library. She leads an organization of 200 incredible employees serving a library-loving community of 179,000. She served as the director of the Ames (Iowa) Public Library and at the Daniel Boone Regional Library prior to making Kansas her home.
She’s worked in libraries for 40 years and received her Masters of Library Science from the University of Missouri, in the previous century. Her degree may be an antique, but her outlook isn’t; she’s been recognized as a Library Journal Mover and Shaker and is Past President of the Library Leadership and Management Association, a division of the American Library Association. She also ran (and lost) for American Library Association president, so she’s not afraid to take risks and believes “no” means “for now.” She presents and writes on a variety of current topics, including community leadership, library advocacy, market segmentation, public library trustee education, 21st century librarianship, process improvement and is an experienced facilitator for library and community groups.
She is past chair of the Heartland Visioning initiative for Topeka and Shawnee County and currently serves on its Steering Committee. She serves on the board of 712 Innovations, the first co-work/makerspace in the state of Kansas. She also serves as the chair of the Committee on Library Advocacy for the American Library Association, on the board of the Public Library Association, a division of the American Library Association and on the board of Lyrasis, a nonprofit library organization that provides continuing education and services to the library industry.
Gina sightings in the blogosphere
- Circulating Ideas: Episode 10: The ALA Presidential Candidates
- Let’s Get This Party Started: Ten adult books you don’t want to miss
- Heartland Visioning Announce Harry Craig and Gina Millsap as the new Co-Chairs
- Separate States: Long Distance Grandparenting
- George and Joan, Thinking Out Loud with Gina Millsap about Process Improvement
- What’s keeping you from inventing the future? (PDF)
- Mutual of Omaha Aha Tour At the Library